IT Technican Job Description
An IT Support Technician is someone who is able to find and solve problems with computer hardware, software and networks.
An IT Technician would also typically be responsible for the installation of new systems and the upgrade and maintenance of existing equipment.
To some degree the support of non-technical users will usually be required
As almost all organisations are now heavily reliant on their computer network the actual job description can vary greatly depending on the type of organisation. For example, you may be expected to provide support via a help desk, at a client’s premises, over the phone, or remotely over the Internet.
Some of the typical work related qualities an IT technician would be expected to possess are:
- An in-depth knowledge of computer hardware and operating systems.
- The ability to identify faults and implement solutions, recording details of this in accordance with company policy.
- The Support of IT network users and providing training when new systems are installed or equipment/software is upgraded.
- Ensuring that system security policies are implemented effectively.
Our Free Computer Hardware & Operating System Intro Course acts as a good introduction to some of the required technical skills.
- Extensive problem solving skills.
- The ability to remain calm and work effectively under pressure.
- Be able to work as part of a team, or as an individual.
- Display patience with and be able to relay technical information in a way that can be understood by non-technical users
There are many hundreds of different IT qualifications and certifications which are available, these can be broken down into two distinct categories, Vendor Neutral Certifications/Qualifications and Vendor Certifications.